Sunday, September 27, 2009

One Year Ago

One year ago today, Derrick and I got engaged. Let me preface this by saying that it was the start of something I could and still can't comprehend! But before we get to that, let's talk about how we met...

My freshman year of college, my roommate was very into outdoors stuff, etc, and she took a ropes course that rec sports offered. She knew I liked that kind of thing too and encouraged me to take it. Well, I signed up and if you can't attend one year, they keep you on the list for first invites for the next year. Well, it always worked that I couldn't go, until my junior year. I took the offer and was prepared for it! By this time, my roommate was already helping set it up, as a side job. So she was also working it. Well, this came to my advantage when I realized how terribly afraid I would be. She was an instructor, I guess you could say, and was helping everyone through each challenge. Heights were involved, which has never been a fear of mine, until I'm all alone, thousand of feet up, and I had to climb a tree to get there. I hated it! I enjoyed it overall, but was so scared. Well, Derrick was also an instructor. He was working the rope wall. I had no problem with this until I had to repel down. I climbed it, slipped some, but with Derrick's encouragement (even though I wanted to tell him to shut up at time), I made it. But, I refused to repel down. I said I would try, and I did, but as soon as they gave me one inch to prop my foot on and then hang in mid-air, I decided very quickly it was not for me. However, the only other way down was to jump, or climb down a teeny tiny, unsturdy pole. None of my options suited me. I think I prayed for God to just go ahead and come back. I was ready to go! Well, I had no choice but to repel. I was so worked up over this, and got a little teary. I did not trust myself to hang in mid-air. Well, I did it, and at the bottom was Derrick, waiting. He said something really sweet, but I was so upset about repelling, I can't remember now what it was. Well, after that, I was ready to be done! I knew the rest of the weekend would be challenging, but I completed all of the challenges, successfully, except one, but I didn't have the upper body strength for it, so I don't count it :) Well, I was finally onto the challenges that involved being 10 inches off the ground. Much more my cup of tea, apparently. Well, I was standing in the back of the crowd and Derrick was in the process of taking down one of the challenges. Well, I happened to look his way, and he motioned for me to come over. He wanted me to hold his ladder while he climbed up the tree to take the hooks down. Derrick won't admit it now, but it was the turning point in our relationship :)Maybe he won't admit it cause he doesn't know, but it was, ok?! I had already noticed him throughout the weekend and was telling my roommate to give me some info about him! She told me what she knew, but it wasn't enough! ANyways, Derrick became a big joke in my apartment for a little while. The roommate that was working the course loved to talk about how I thought he was cute and etc. yadda yadda yadda. Well, in the meantime I decided to ref intramurals. I had already been to a couple workshops, and Derrick had been there, since he is a ref, however I hadn't noticed. So at the next workshop, I noticed! Well, flag football was starting, and we both began to ref. Before it started, we had found eachother on facebook, and chatted a little there. We saw eachother almost everyday and he always made a point to come talk to me. I loved it! He finally asked me on a date, and after that date, we saw eachother everyday, except for holiday breaks. And one year later, got engaged. See, I told you holding his ladder was the turning point for us. Ha!

It was a Saturday morning, our one year of dating anniversary, and I was very excited. Some of my friends were getting engaged and I knew I wanted to marry Derrick and could not be much more patient, however, I also knew that this day would be bring me no new shiny ring, as he had told me he would never do it on a day I was expecting it. I would later learn, he's a liar :) jk. It was reverse-psychology. Anyways, with the help of my 3 roommates, he planted a note on my car. Somehow, I don't remember how, I retrieved it off my car. It read for me to get ready, and go to Amicalola Falls, a place we would go and watch the sunset. However, I somehow missed a small strip of paper that was also in the envelope, telling me what time to be there. Well, once I got there, I read the note again to make sure I was going to the right place, and out comes the strip of paper. Luckily, I was right on target, but about 15 minutes early. In my letter, I was also told not to contact anyone unless it was an emergency. Well, the problem with that is, once you tell me I CAN'T do something, I really want to. Immature, yes. Can I help it? No. So, of course, I texted him to make sure it was ok I was there early. He said it was ok, but not to do it again. ha! I didn't know it's cause he had just left! Anyways, I get my note from the receptionist and am sent to the next location. This goes on for a few locations, and finally, I arrive at the driving range, where we went on our first date. He was there, sitting on a bench. My (knowing) roommates had dressed me, so I was in a dress, and was a little concerned about being at the driving range. It was rather short and not an ok dress to hit golf balls in. It was to my advantage that Derrick had no intentions of golfing! So after pressuring him to go eat, cause I was hungry, he finally gave in. We stood up, and he handed me my last clue. It read "Turn Around". He was down on one knee and pulled out a ring. He gave a whole speech but I had tunnel vision for that sparkly ring! I don't remember a thing he said! Well, after some tears and such, he blindfolded me. Note to guys: DO NOT BLINDFOLD A NEWLY ENGAGED WOMAN! All I wanted to do was check out my new bling! But I complied, hesitantly. Well, he told me were going to dinner, but he had planned a surprise engagement party with family and friends! It was such a bittersweet day! Couldn't ask for a better enagagement, ring, or guy! I'm one blessed girl!

Am I a little sentimental today? apparently! But I have every reason to be!

1 comment:

  1. awww...I remember that day! I had just moved to 'Bama to start my new job, and drove back that weekend! It was so much fun, and I can't wait to hang w/ my sis-in-law some! See you in a couple weeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete