Monday, July 27, 2009

Cucumber Cooking

Saturday was a very lazy day in the Holmes' Household. Friday, we had ventured to Stone Mountain with some friends, climbed the mountain, which I must admit was not the easy climb it was when I was a kid, and watched the Laser Show. It was Derrick's first time, and probably last, climbing the mountain at least. ha. Let's just say he didn't love it.

Anyways, come Saturday morning, we were exhausted. We decided not to do anything. This was probably our first unbooked Saturday since the wedding. Anyways, so over the past couple of weeks we have been given numerous cucumbers. I decided that I needed to find a recipe that called for quite a few so that they would not go bad! Well, I found the perfect one! It was in my Cook Yourself Thin cookbook and it was a chicken parmesan with a cucumber salad. I was excited! We would be able to use them all! Well, this recipe was quite the feat. It was all from scratch, and I love to cook, but I don't love a lot of ingredients. But I bought them anyways and was on my way to making this wonderful dinner. Well, it came time to cook the cucumbers. They weren't cooking how the recipe was describing, which was fine, I figured as much. I continued anyways and after a while, I convinced myself it was exactly how it was supposed to be. If only.....

Now, Derrick and I were sitting at the table, eating and chatting, and began a conversation about some homemade pickles we had also been given. The cucumbers I had just cooked almost tasted like a pickle to me. Normally, this would make sense, but let me let you in on a little secret.... my recipe called for ZUCHINNI! not pickles! So I asked him if pickles were made from zuchinni, since I am thinking that is what I am eating. He politely responds that they are made from cucumbers he believes, and that's when I put two and two together. Needless to say, we had quite the laugh. I don't know what I was thinking. I mean, they're both green and have very similiar characteristics. Well, in case you were wondering, it was still good, and we probably liked it better! Derrick did at least. Anyways, maybe one day I will try the recipe with what it actually calls for and see the difference! You live, you learn!!

Yesterday we joined Derrick's parents at their church for the annual Homecoming. We enjoyed it! It was like a small Thanksgiving dinner! Yum! Then came home and I took quite the nap!

I got my pictures in from Snapfish to start the Bridal Showers scrapbook! I am so excited!

Anyways, have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. The cucumbers and zucchini at the ranch look almost exactly the same. I have had to cut them open to see which one is which. Everyone here makes some sort of cucumber salad with dill (in case you are still looking for a recipe).

    ReplyDelete