Monday, June 28, 2010

A Quiet Sunday Afternoon...

Yeah right!

Let me start by prefacing that a long time ago, almost 14 years ago, my mom was pregnant with my little brother. I was 10, so I still went with her everywhere, doctor's appointments included. After one appointment, we were walking out and all of a sudden, my mom got very pale and immediately ran into a room. I followed and they sat me in the waiting area while they took her back and took care of her. I had no idea what was going on and was very attached to my mom and was scared to death. They finally let me go see her, where she was lying on a table and they had an IV in her and she did not look so hot. Ever since that moment I have been terrified of needles and hospitals. Which leads me to our Sunday afternoon:

I have done a pretty phenomenal job at avoiding hospitals at all costs. Until Sunday. Derrick and I had been up pretty late Saturday night, so when Sunday morning rolled around, we tossed back and forth the idea of sleeping in till the later church service. However, I decided to just get up and get ready. We left and went to church and were out by about 10. A couple days earlier, I had found some rugs I wanted Derrick to see, so after church, we went to Publix (to get my coupons!) and to TJ Maxx Homegoods. During this time, Derrick commented that we might not be out long today, as his side was hurting pretty bad. I figured he didn't want to go rug shopping :) Homegoods was closed so we went to a nearby Wal-Mart to pick up a few things we needed until we could get in to Homegoods. Well, we were shopping around and Derrick was hurting, but we both thought it would pass. He decided to go back out to the truck and wait for me. I hurried and when I went outside, he could barely stand up straight as he was doubled over from the pain. He was talking with his dad on the phone, and after talking with him for a few, we decided I should take him to the ER... luckily, it was about 2 minutes away. So we walk in, and they immediately know it is him. We didn't wait at all. At this point, I'm ok. Derrick is in immense pain and they are taking his bp and getting some information. Well, after that, they put him in a wheelchair and take him back to his room. At this point is when I am struggling to keep it all together. I hate hospitals. I hate the smells. Just seeing that room made it all to real for me. The doctors thought it was appendicitis or kidney stones. I was freaking out at the thought of appendicitis as the thought of him in surgery and me not in control, was not a good combination! They were giving him some meds, thank the Lord!, and waiting for a CAT scan to see what was going on. About 20 minutes later, they take him back, and after waiting about 10 for the results, the diagnosis was kidney stones. During this time he was away, I broke down. I was trying to be the strong one, as any time I would tear up, he was more concerned about my well-being than his ridiculous amount of pain. I don't even know why I cried. I guess it was all just scary and I didn't know what it was going to be. Long story short, he passed it there and we were released and came home and took a much needed nap! Not to mention all of our family is out of town! Only his dad is within a 2 hour drive from where we were, and he could not leave. Luckily it wasn't anything more serious!

We are so thankful for all the prayers from those of you who were aware! It meant the world to us.

And now my fears of hospitals are even more elevated, as it was still just as scary. But we had a wonderful experience!

And I can't get the smell of hospital off of my hands. ick! And we will continue our rug shopping another day :)

1 comment:

  1. jonathan has had those a few times. the first time was the scariest because we had no clue what it was. supposedly you can prevent them by watching your diet closely and avoiding certain foods and drinks. but jonathan hasn't listened yet to that advice ;) glad he is doing better and that you survived the hospital visit! :)

    ReplyDelete