Sunday, June 13, 2010

One Year

Well, it has been a while, but life is busy, so deal :)

Today is the mark of our one year anniversary! Prior to this, we were able to spend a week at the beach with great friends! And, before our anniversary we got the great news that I'm pregnant! just kidding! But we did get the great news that I got a teaching job. I'm thrilled! I will be teaching 4-5 grade resource, behavior disorders. I'm so excited!

We celebrated our anniversary by heading to ATL on Friday afternoon. We had plans to eat at Dante's down the Hatch. It is a fondue restaurant and the attire was dressy. Well, I sometimes loie for Derrick and I to have the same color scheme... just for picture's sake. Well, Derrick hates this. To the extent that he will change if we accidentally have on the same colors. I find it amusing. Anyways... we have our outfits picked out, not the same colors, but acceptable. We decided we should check into our hotel first, so Derrick hangs up his things so they won't get wrinkled. Well, we finish packing and head out. About 30 minutes out, I hear Derrick say, "Oh, no!" This is not a typical saying. Long story short, Derrick left his "dressy attire" hanging on the wardrobe. Awesome. We had some extra time, but not a lot. So, we stop at a nearby Belk to get Derrick new clothes! Let's just say, after his fashion faux pas, we showed up at Dante's..... matching :) Anyways, dinner was wonderful and they gave us a special glass celebrating our anniversary. Except Dante presented it to us, and he's rather old, and he thought he gave us one that said 2009, since that was the year we married, but it clearly states 2008. ha. It's the thought that counts! Saturday we shopped around in IKEA and came home to relax!

I thought it would be fun to make a list of things I have learned in my first year of marriage. It'd probably be funny to get Derrick to do a list to, but that won't happen. His only comment would be, she always wants to match. haha. Ok, so here goes, and in random order!

1. Boys are messy
2. The TV changer is ALWAYS in their hand
3. Boys always think they are the better driver. I think this would be true even if we were sitting in a head-on collision with him as the driver. It clearly would not be his fault.
4. Getting a boy to pick up EVERYTHING after himself is like nailing jello to a tree
5. Whether I have on make- up or not, he never knows. I don't know if I should be offended by this or happy. I tend to take the offensive stance.
6. The amount of time it takes a boy to get ready is ridiculous. I always knew this, but I grow more jealous daily.
7. Quiet is not something men are.
8. Issues of importance are radically different from male to female. My hair looking bad is not important to Derrick, when it is clearly at the top of my list :)
9. Money really doesn't grow on trees (sorry, mom and dad :))
10. Husbands and wives (at least in this house) never want to watch the same thing
11. Volume levels are never agreed upon
12. AC levels are also never agreed upon
13. Cooking really is my job. Unless I want Totino's dollar pizza nightly
14. Creating ways to organize and filling Derrick in on them is of high importance. Note # 8
15. Grocery shopping takes 10x longer with a boy
16. Grocery shopping is 10x more expensive when said boy comes along
17. Sleeping in, in the summer, when husband has to go to work early does not exist. Might I add, that for 10 months out of the year, he is not woken up by my early mornings :)
18. With above statement, revenge is often necessary :)
19. When are you going to have a baby? is the question of choice after the wedding day
20. Guy time(for Derrick) and girl time (for me) is crucial to sanity!
21. Other people's wedding and honeymoon pictures are much more exciting and interesting to look at now. I could do that all day.
22. Derrick is much better at folding t-shirts than I am. He probably wishes I didn't know this.
23. You must make a man do something immediately. Remembering does not often happen.
24. Flaws (of my own) are much easier to see being married.
And last, but not least...
25. Writing a list of things I've learned being married will probably make said husband not very happy.

Happy Anniversary Derrick! Love you :)

2 comments:

  1. At least you quit calling him a boy and called him hubby at the end.... that should bring at least a smirk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I love your list.. I can relate! Hope all is well! - Sophia

    ReplyDelete