Saturday, December 5, 2009

Rodents

I was debating posting this or not, mainly because it's disgusting, but I promised myself I would post about the trials and tribulations of our marriage. Now, this may be neither of those, but nonetheless, an interesting story.

The building we live in has been having rat problems. I wasn't concerned until the apartment above us had 2! In their actual apartment, not just hearing it. So I asked Derrick about it, and of course, he had known, and conveniently left it out in our conversations. So, for the next 2 weeks, any small sound I heard, I would go looking around the corner for any sign of these nasty creatures. Right before Thanksgiving, Derrick started becoming more paranoid, which I found odd. He usually didn't care. Well, he had heard them in the walls. But the paranoia continued when we got back from Thanksgiving. I knew something was up, so I asked him why he cared so much. His words were, "Are you sure you want to know?" My response, "No, but tell me anyways." Come to find out, the door that holds our heating/cooling unit had a half-circle chewed out of the carpet at the bottom. By rats! ugh! So, for the next week, if I was in the living room, my eyes were on that hole. There were no signs, so I began to calm down. That is until......

Wednesday morning! I was sitting in the living room, watching the news and doing my make-up. It was 6:15ish. I heard something fall into that door from the ceiling, and at first, thought I was just imagining it. Well, then 2 more clinks and clanks till it could fall no more. By this time, I had jumped up and was eying that hole. The next thing I see is two little eyes staring at me. I freaked, yet did not move a muscle. It saw me and ran back in. I mean come on, I'm not that bad without make-up! Anyways, I was between a rock and a hard place at this point. Derrick was still sound asleep in the bedroom, but there was no way I was taking my eye off that hole, only for it to run out and be impossible to find. So, I began to softly call out Derrick's name. I did this for about a minute, then realized that I was ridiculous for whispering, concerned that the rat might hear me! It was early, don't judge. So then I began yelling his name! Well, still no response, surprise, surprise. I quickly ran into the bedroom, shook his feet and told him there was a rat, come out! I ran back, only hoping it hadn't escaped! Derrick came out, rubbing his eyes, not nearly as concerned as I was. His response: "Stomp your feet, it'll go away." Not funny! So we (or I should say Derrick) put a leather box we have in front of it. I was quite upset that the rat may chew through my box, but I was more concerned about having a living rat in our apartment! All day, it was all I could think about!

I got home, and the box hadn't been chewed on! We plugged the hole and have had no signs since! Let's just say, I am very glad to leave for work every morning and not have to eye that hole for 24 hours a day! It's disgusting! But have no fear, they are dying, so visitors are still welcome, just excuse the stench of dying rat as you walk into our Winter Wonderland I so thoroughly enjoyed decorating!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! What's so bad...I can actually picture this entire scene!!!! I'm sorry, but I'm reading this and absolutely dying laughing! Hope the rat goes away and doesn't come back! (And if you think it's scared of you, it should be thankful it didn't get a look at Derrick first thing in the morning...now THAT'S terrifying!!!)

    ReplyDelete