Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tis' the Season....

TO GO BROKE! Goodness! No one ever tells you that you have to buy EVERYTHING you need to decorate with your first year being married. But, alas, I did. Hobby Lobby now owns my soul. I spent hours in there trying to find the perfect decorations! It's a hard choice picking out what your tree will look like! My mom always had the ornaments we made. Luckily, we're kid-free, and I want a pretty tree! I'm already slightly stressing out that, when we do have kids, I'm gonna have to hang their "adorable" ornaments. I love kids and I love crafts, but I love a pretty tree! I'm already contemplating having 2 trees, so one can be pretty and one can have their crafts. Derrick and I have also decided to have a tradition of getting an ornament wherever we travel to together. Our first one was an ornament from Jamaica. It was a bride and groom one too, which was perfect! But I can sneak that one on the tree this year!

I have yet to put up the decorations, as I am getting the tree from my parents house today. Tomorrow they will ALL be up! I want it to look like a winter wonderland. I tried to justify all my spending by choosing snowmen, which I love more than any other, telling Derrick, because they are snowmen, they can stay up longer than the month of December. I don't think he's entirely convinced :) He didn't go along on the journey with me. He would have found some garland and hung himself, probably :) I also picked out our stockings, but accidentally told Derrick, in hopes he would deny, that if he didn't like he could pick one out. Well, I should have known he would want to do that! I'm torn, though. I bought the plane, red/white, matching ones, so we can embroider our names. 20 bucks says he is going to want one from Bass Pro Shops. I just know it! I may have to give in on that one... it is Christmas, after all!

I have the whole next week off for Thanksgiving and boy am I excited. I also have a packed week! Tomorrow, I am taking my first sewing class, PJ pants! It ended up being more expensive than I thought. I should have known! But it's paid for, so I'm going. And then to decorate. On Tuesday, we are going wedding dress shopping for my sister! I am way excited. And on Wednesday, I am going to help my mom begin getting desserts ready, and Thursday, wake up early to help cook, and then eat! Due to some unfortunate circumstances, we get to celebrate with families. That's not unfortunate, but we had planned to celebrate in Alabama with Derrick's family. But, at least we get to see both families now!


Now it is time to go wake up sleeping beauty. And no, not me. Not in this house :) It is off to church with my family. My sweet baby brother, who is not such a baby now, is getting baptized today, and I could not be any more proud!

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, I know exactly how you feel. No one tells you that you have to buy every single thing you will need to decorate for your first Christmas together. I, however, took advantage of the day-after Christmas sales and got everything we needed 50% off the year before mine and Matt's first Christmas. Hope you enjoy your time off and enjoy your first Christmas together. I can't believe we've already been married a year and a half and are gearing up for our 2nd. Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it'll look great! I had to do the Christmas buying last year and I'm so glad I went ahead and bought it all! Hope ya'll have a great Thanksgiving; wish I could be there! (and I'm sorry if he chooses a stocking from bass pro; but then again it could be worse....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a word of advice...stand your ground on the whole pretty tree!;) I am determined to keep a beautiful one up and Madison has one with all her own homemade and gift ornaments that would so tacky up mine. lol Hope ya'll have a great first Christmas. Our first Christmas tree was decorated with Dollar Store finds..thank the Lord for after Christmas Old Time Pottery sales...I love my decorations! Have fun putting them up!

    ReplyDelete